Clark Frost Zucchi Attorneys At Law

Injury Lawyers

Free Consultation | Hablamos Español 815-315-9357

Clark Frost Zucchi

Rockford Personal Injury Lawyers

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Car Accidents
  4.  » Can I sue for lost wages after a car accident?

Can I sue for lost wages after a car accident?

On Behalf of | Jun 26, 2019 | Car Accidents |

If you are in a car accident in Illinois and it is not your fault, then you probably know that you can get payment from the other driver’s insurance for any damages and medical expenses resulting from the accident. However, after an accident, there may be further issues. An accident does not exist in a vacuum. It affects other aspects of your life, which would not have been affected if the accident did not occur. You have every right to hold the other party responsible for these things, which includes lost wages.

If the accident caused serious physical harm to you and you have to take time off of work to recuperate, it is not something that should fall to you to remedy. The other person’s insurance should pay for your loss of income, according to Insurance Panda.

While the other party has a responsibility to pay for your losses of any kind due to an accident, you do need to be aware that there is a possibility the insurance will not cover lost wages. This is not because the company is not required to do so, but more likely because the other driver simply does not have enough insurance coverage. If the other party exhausts his or her insurance coverage paying for the damage to your vehicle and your medical expenses, there may be no money left to pay for lost wages.

In this situation, you would have to take the other person to court to recoup the additional expenses. If you have underinsured motorist coverage, you may also be able to get money from your own insurance policy. This information is for education and is not legal advice.